Ask the right questions. Listen. Think. Build the right solution. Get there together.
Combining the traditional capabilities of an at-risk contractor with an innovative attitude, CVMNEXT delivers a distinctly different approach to building. Our long-term clients include leading commercial and industrial corporations, as well as some of the nation’s premier cultural and academic institutions. Offering a broad spectrum of capabilities including general contracting, structural engineering and building diagnostics, CVMNEXT provides clients a holistic set of tools and delivers purposeful solutions.
CVMNEXT Construction seeks an experienced project estimator, responsible for preparing and presenting construction cost estimates, subcontractor RFP documents, bid submissions and other documents in support of CVMNEXT’s preconstruction and construction phase activities.
The ideal candidate will have a minimum of seven years of experience in commercial, academic or institutional construction projects within the region. Experience with preservation, restoration and renovation projects is also desirable. Strong analytical problem-solving ability in addition to written and verbal presentation skills will be considered a plus.
Reporting to the project manager and principals, the estimator works closely with project teams and will assist in development of schedules, cost modeling, value engineering, document review, constructability analysis and preparation of other required information for bids, proposals and studies.
CVMNEXT offers a competitive salary and benefits package, as well as a collaborative professional environment. To express interest, please respond to firstname.lastname@example.org with a resume and cover letter, including salary requirements, pertinent experience and references.
Desired Skills and Expertise
- Read and understand all bid documents, scopes of work and contractual obligations for each project. Identify and quantify critical cost factors.
- Develop estimates using historical and market data that are accurate, complete and reflective of the actual requirements of the project, including General Conditions.
- Prepare scope-of-work summaries for all trades as required and work with team to identify, solicit and pre-qualify bidders. Review and analyze all subcontractor proposals received for alignment with required scope, and ensure accurate bid tabulations are prepared.
- Assist with development of preliminary milestone schedule.
- Assure that subcontractor pricing is accurate and based on clear understanding of scope, current availability and willingness to perform work under the stated conditions.
- Facilitate buyout of trades in cooperation with project team.
- Identify potential cost-saving solutions and participate in discussions with internal team, design team and client to evaluate such changes.
- Identify new or improved construction materials, equipment and techniques, and understand both advantages and disadvantages of each.
- Utilize estimating systems and software to perform quantity take-offs and analyze cost. Assist in maintaining up-to-date unit cost data. Understand local construction market relative to costs, wage rates, benefits and working rules.
- Cultivate relationships with subcontractor and vendor community.
- Work with project team as needed to forecast costs and evaluate changes at regular intervals for projects in the construction phase.
- Five-to-seven years of experience in quantity take-off, conceptual and hard-bid estimating.
- Four-year college degree in a pertinent field of study, or equivalent professional experience.
- Advanced knowledge of estimating practices and procedures including software input and manipulation with Sage Estimating, ProEst, On-Screen Takeoff and Excel.
- Thorough understanding of building systems, construction means and methods, logistics and schedule development.