Bartram’s Garden, John Bartram House and Carr Garden
Stemming from the 1728 purchase of land by the early American botanist John Bartram, Bartram’s Garden is a 45-acre public park located in Southwest Philadelphia on the banks of the Schuylkill River. With a mission of advancing Bartram’s legacy of “discovery, gardening and art,” this popular destination is open year-round and admission is free, offering city residents access to the natural world through gardens, a meadow and a riverfront trail.
Working with our project partners, CVMNEXT restored what is arguably the centerpiece of the grounds, the National Historic Landmark John Bartram House and adjacent Carr Garden. Dating from the property’s 18th-century purchase, the Bartram House restoration included a roof replacement, facade masonry restoration, replacement of two chimneys, woodwork restoration and the installation of a geothermal HVAC system. The 19th-century Carr Garden, a specimen garden begun by Bartram’s granddaughter Ann Bartram Carr, was also returned to its original splendor, ensuring that these important cultural amenities will continue to have a place in Philadelphia’s rich historic landscape.
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Landscape Architect: Ground Reconsidered
Architect: Frens & Frens Restoration Architects